Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Mexican Rice in the Rice Cooker

I found this recipe on food.com  I had to tweek the chicken broth amount to suit my rice cooker and you may have to do the same.  The first time I made the recipe the rice was too al dente for my taste.  After I upped the chicken broth to 3 cups the second time I made it the rice was just right.

1 cup rice (I like to rinse my rice in cold water before I cook it)
3 cups low sodium chicken broth (the original recipe asked for 2 1/4 cups)
3 ounces tomato paste (half a small can)
2 T butter, cut in pieces
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 t. minced garlic)
2 ounces diced green chilies (half of a 4 ounce can)
dash of pepper
dash of crushed red pepper flakes

fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish, optional

Combine all the ingredients in the rice cooker except the cilantro or parsley, if using.

Cook according to the manufacturer instructions.

Let the finished rice sit uncovered for 3 minutes or so to allow it to thicken.  Then stir, garnish if desired and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment